There are plenty of reasons to despise this filth ridden city. What bothers you most?

please login / register to post images

11 of 13 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Most of the posts are relating to Germany as a whole, but not to Berlin especially. For God's sake, Berlin is not Germany. I am a German and a Berlin hater as well.
Berlin is unfriendly, overestimating itself.
Maybe the cause for the rudeness is that Berlin(West) has been an island for many years, attracting other losers for 40 years. Now they have the impression they are in the center of anything. That's why things don't happen here, that are normal in other German cities. Then people, that have lived for a long time under communist rules, that have never seen any foreigners for a long time. They are xenophobe (not only to people from other countries, but also to people, that come from former Western Germany). Berlin is the city, which is for me much more strange, that other cities in Western Europe), Paris, London are less strange for me, because I was socialized in Western Europe.
I am really astonished, that Berlin has such an attraction to people from other countries. Berlin is Wladiwostok or Minsk, ugly, poor, only a few steps to Siberia. So it is no wonder, that people who come here are massively disappointed.

5 of 8 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for posting here - could you share what other places in Germany one might go that are different from Berlin?

I wanna point out that you yourself may have a pretty lopsided view of the East. If you go to Poznan, Cracov, or Lviv, all cities in deep post-commie places, you'll immediately notice that despite being incredibly poor and much closer to the big smelly russian bear, the people there... smile. There's even color in the streets despite people having very little resources to spare.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you go to those places. You might also be even more filled with awe and disgust at just how bad, sad, rude, gray (despite tons of money) Berlin and other parts of Germany are (I've only been in the former Eastern Germany regions, so take this with a grain of salt).

Last but not least - people don't have high expectations - they merely expect what they'd expect from any other 1st world capitol city, and even from 2nd world capitol cities.

0 of 0 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I traveled through Poland for two weeks and found them way more unfriendly than Germans xD Maybe I traveled though a parallel universe, who knows?

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Also you should be very cautious traveling to Poland if you don't look like 99% of the males there - white, short to zero hair and ugly clothes. Depressing country!

0 of 0 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I used to live in South Germany, and it was much much better than here. The people on the South are kind of more closed, but once they open - you can make really good friends. Just keep right distance, and you'll have a chance to build a decent and joyful relationship. In Berlin it's impossible. Nobody gives a poop about you, all "friendliness" of this place is just totally superficial. So, I'd definitely agree. Germany is very much different, and I don't like it myself when people extrapolate Berlin to entire country. Thanks God, Berlin is just Berlin...

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Agreed, i moved to Germany 5 years ago and only came to Berlin because for some ridiculous reason I thought I could get more work here. Berliners are a*seholes, I was shocked because my previous experience of Germans has been wonderful. There are issues all over Germany, the expensive health insurance, the threatening vibe you get in the letters from anything from the landlord to the TV license, which is also insanely expensive. I am now sh*tting myself because I'm in Berlin and I already feel like I've made a huge mistake. It's a disgusting city. No work, horrible dirty streets, massive failures to integrate immigrants, the muslims are not interested even if you try to be friendly and treat the place like a rubbish tip. I will be looking to move on as soon as possible because if I end up poor and stuck here I am f*cked.

Comment on this

3 of 3 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

I used to live in the hellhole entitled Berlin before escaping 2 years ago ....I ended up in the UK 5 months ago and I am getting flashbacks to Berlin (loads of unemployed people, student economy, bums and homeless everywhere) systems that don't work.... the only difference is that British people are on the whole friendly, whereas Germans are cold rude robots....anyway I will NEVER live in UK or Berlin again - both are total dumps on their way out.... shame.

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

What city in the UK did you end up in?

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

yeah dude I hear you. I lived in the UK for work and it sincerely feels like there is no middle anymore, either you're filthy rich or poor "level: Berlin", no jobs and addicted to drugs. I might be wrong though, I don't live there anymore.

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

spot on dude - I have visited every city: Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Leeds,Manchester bla bla bla - its crap - so I am escaping here too....you are right - there is no middle.

0 of 0 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I lived in Scotland and I miss it

Comment on this

8 of 8 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

This City is a great misfortune,it must be cursed or something.

6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

It is, the vibes here are so low and negative.
Look at the people around, they're all under a "BE DEPRESSED AND NEVER SMILE" spell

6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

yup - its depressing as shit.

Comment on this

5 of 5 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

ALMOST had to take a job in Berlin - after promising I would NEVER return to that idiot 1.5 years ago...luckily I managed to get a job in another city...funnily if the job had been in a different city I might have taken it..but not Berlin ...NO WAY I will returmn there ...most UK cities are like Berlin (no jobs, bums and druggies everywhere, tons of students and bad vibes) so I dont recommend you flee here either .....peace out.

2 of 2 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

you dodged a bullet with your name there.

2 of 2 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

YUP - BULLET DODGED... UK is becoming like Berlin too and is virtually finished.....//./

Comment on this

14 of 15 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

I've lived in Berlin for a year and today I've discovered sanity! I've discovered this place! I've always thought that something must be wrong with me for hating this place, that maybe I'm growing old, or maybe something's wrong with my brain, but NO! There are so many other people right here that are bitching about things that make me go crazy that I finally feel sane again!

Everything written on this site is absolutely true. All the xenophobia, rudeness, dog shit, broken systems, bureaucracy, insane laws, insane people, crazy bikers - all of it is true!

You want to make friends? No way, because you're not a German ie. you're not superior. You know how in the US you got Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc.? No such thing here, you either assimilate or you are ostracized! Forget your culture, throw out everything you hold dear - it's only fussball, beer, and how fat americans are ha ha ha. I've literally had people switch from English to German when talking with me because theyre so xenophobic. You know how you know you've become accepted by the neighbors? They begin to acknowledge you by _scowling_ at you instead of just flat out ignoring you. Customer service? Those people will LIE right to your face if it means you freaking off. Also, haven't seen this mentioned here before but Berliners hog the street like crazy. You will have a family of 4 stop in the middle of the sidewalk, spread out, force you to pass them by stepping onto the street because, I kid you not, they just _thought_ of something! People will never make way for you if they see you walking fast or running because fornicate you.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you meet some Berliners, they will immediately start telling you how everything you do is WRONG because they are almost done with their PhD. We're talking about grown people here, aged 30 or more, who live with parents and who have never had a job in their life trying to teach you about life itself. These people will tell you about the world, about politics, about everything and you will feel like you're talking with your friend's 13 year old cousin that just finished watching Transformers and thinks it was a documentary.

What also gets me is this absolute belief in rules and systems. If a system is in place, it has to be the best thing ever. You gotta wait for 2 months to register, so that you can open a bank account, after which you have to wait 6 months to get a credit card? This must be all right and good, you stupid foreigner, some meister _designed_ this system, right? How can you, silly foreigner, comprehend the glorious 1000-year bureau-reich? Oh, and don't forget that there is a Proper Time and Proper Place for everything. There is a set of clothing if you want to exercise and a set of clothing if you're taking a brisk walk, and a set of clothing for taking slow walks. These people are insanely consumerist but they will deny it with all hearts while thinking of another useless freaking gadget to buy for their 2500euro+ bicycle that they never ride because their lovely compatriots will steal it.

Everything in this country that should be easy is hard - going to the doctor, opening a business, making friends, having fun, being polite, asking questions... Oh god, ever ask a Berline for help? The fornicate you're getting any help, you'll just get a scowl and something that translates to "IDONTKNOWBYE".

And again, I must circle back to the topic of xenophobia because it is so common here. Germans will easily tell you that 2nd or 3rd generation children of Turkish immigrants aren't Germans because of some stupid reason, suffice to say that anyone with non-white skin simply cannot be German. Germans are famous for being tourists and you'd think that seeing so many other places is educational, but alas, it is not - I get the feeling that when Germans visit other countries, it's like visiting a zoo for them - it's entertaining to look at all those funny animals and their funny, untermenchen culture. They will speak of absolutely normal things like jaywalking or raccoons or, god forbid, children mowing lawns to earn some summer money (all income in germany must be taxes, therefore any un-registered labor is completely and utterly verboten. Remember, when you shovel snow for a neighbor for 20 bucks, it's like you're giving a sexual act to hitler) - they talk about it as if they saw people walking on their hands. "Ha ha ha, crazy americans, can you believe anyone there can open a business? That's crazy Hans, what if someone Breaks a Rule? What if someone pays One Penny Less of Taxes Than They Owe? Don't they know their hole country will implode? Oh Otto, let me now tell you about the crazy...".

Ugh. Enough. I feel cleansed after getting this off my chest. But there's much more. I can't wait to get out of here, I dream of it. Now, that I know I'm sane, I have to hasten my preparation to leave this dump.

Fellow inmates of this shit-hole of city, fear not, we will escape this place! All of us! Sooner or later, we will be free and this city will crumble back into the bog that spawned it.

6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Haha good job mate, I had a blast reading your post. Sadly, everything you say is true!

When you say "customer service lies to your face", I can only applaud.
I went to a cloth shop last week, sale lady there looking like she's about to commit suicide, no smile on her face whatsoever approaches me and asked "do you need help?" I didn't want to be bothered so I simply replied "danke, aber ich spreche kein Deutsch". I want on wandering in the shop and taking some items into my little basket, then the old sale woman asks one of her younger co worker to tell me that I can't buy only one nor two items but I am obliged to take 3 of them (they had a special discount for 3 items bought but in no way the customer HAS to buy 3 items...) So that young worker comes and tells me in English "you must buy 3, not only one or two" and then leaves and tells her boss or whatever that she told me I had no choice but buy 3 items, laughing stupidly.
I turned around and said "you know I actually understand what you say, right?" They both blushed looking like robots and looked down as I left pissed off but at the same time happy I didn't spend one cent on their shaddy business.
See, this is how they treat foreigners here: people we can just make fun of, disrespect, belittle and rip off.
Fu.ck this joke of a city

3 of 3 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

This happened to a friend of mine, he got out the supermarket with too many bags and offered a kid 5€ to help him carry the bags to his apartment 3 blocks away from him, the boy was going to agree but some woman overheard the conversation and starting screaming and the lady actually started yelling and accusing him of solicitation. He had no option but to leave the supermarket as fast as he could with as many bags as he could carry because he was terrified of that attitude, even worse he heard that the police was coming so he ran away. He no longer lives in the city and I plan to leave after the summer too. It's not ok to offer people money for small tasks but it's completely fine to give away money for free for drugs and such. I guess that's the German logic way.

2 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Haha, stupidest thing I ever read.

Comment on this

11 of 12 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Berlin is a post-communist city and you should adjust your expectations accordingly. Coming from Eastern Europe, I am used to dull architecture, rude attitudes and dysfunctional administration. I can kinda shrug it off.

Also, I knew about the german culture before, about the pathologically competitive and calculating people, unable to form a genuine connection, always on the mission to save the world, make fun of your inferior ways and complain about everything good or bad. Whatever, I can live with that, as long as there are foreigners living here.

The combination, however, is almost unbearable. The post-communist hostile society combined with ruthless capitalistic economy, the narcissistic superiority complex combined with the laziness and ignorance. But I had a feeling that there is so much going on that I'll find freaks just like me and I'll be ok.

And I am ok. I learned to not smile too much. I learned to not talk to people. I learned that people will bump into you on the sidewalk, either out of spite or because they have no concept of "other people" except them. And I am ok. not great, but ok.

However, I am not ok with the fact that this pile of poop is sprinkled with glitter, packaged, marketed and sold as an upcoming city, tech startup hub, cultural melting pot full of great artists, musical underground, hippie utopia or scientific center or whatnot. It's not.

All that noise is bullshit. This city is an alcoholic that pissed itself, sleeping while standing up, having a great time on his most recent hit of heroin. It's a bearded idiot on his fixie bike proud of his ignorance. It's a rude 12 years old kid on some kind of painkillers that will kick you for no reason. Screw that.

9 of 9 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Oh man, so true! I think I've had enough time to taste all of these "fruits" and all of them are rotten inside.

Most of my experience has to do with the "startup scene" and it's a darn joke! None of the start ups are doing anything innovative (probably because it is VERBOTEN or something) and I mean - how can they? Any sort of improvement or innovation is frowned upon in this country. You're either a company making cars or selling insurance or you're a nobody. God damnit, they even have those old ladies doing toilet duty - the most degrading job I've ever heard of, all in the name of avoiding any sort of change like the plague. Most foreign workers that came here, lured by the "hot start up scene" are sick and tired of it and wanna get away from it and move to someplace warm where people are nice. I mean, most of these start ups should win "The Most Unambitious Company of the Year" awards. First, you got poop that are just plain rip-offs of other companies, then you got the "big guns", but their products look like they were made 10 years ago (and coded in PHP, lol, what a joke), then you got the pump-and-dump start-ups: companies that have an idea like 'facebook for dogs', so they get funding for a year and they sit around, drinking club mate, until their money runs out - nice, easy job for a year, free money essentially. Funniest thing I've seen in this space: serious PhD "informatikers" completely and utterly disdaining front-end developers for not working in "industrial" languages like C++. Too bad that you got all these PhDs and none of them can make a decent looking product, even a decently functioning product.

5 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I once had to work for a "top tier" financial company that thought having a SQL server was edgy and innovative. Stable companies (i.e. not startups) in Germany aren't that much different. Still, I'm glad to see other people scammed by startups here. I've been thinking of making an anonymous site for startup workers in Berlin so people working in the city and abroad can actually share their awful experiences so that the rest of the world knows what is really going on in the "startup capital of Europe". PD the front end development in C complaint I've heard it so many times already is no longer funny to me.

4 of 4 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I went down the same road and tried to register my business in Germany cuz I lived there and I had an idea that I wanted to make real. Long story short, they even brought a social worker to convince me not to because "reasons", they even asked me if I had ties with Iran and Iraq, even though I'm hispanic and almost all my family comes from Florida. All this was in 2013 if this had happened in 2016, good lord I cannot even imagine what it might have happened. Now I have my business registered in Delaware, it costed me somewhere around 300$. I'm glad I did it because I don't have to pay 50% income tax to Germans and maybe other weird hidden very German taxes that make no sense.

3 of 3 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! You took the words out of my mouth.

It's not even the biggest problem how broken up this city is, it's the attitude of everyone that this pile of poop is "sooo great"

Comment on this

5 of 6 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

What do I hate about the city well:
I hate that one in 10 Germans wants country to be led by a 'Führer' (dictator)
I hate that eleven percent of respondents say that Jews have too much influence in society.
I hate that twelve percent think Germans are by nature superior to other people.

Tell me about that 1/3 French believe in Marie Le Pen and half of Austria wants a far-right president but Germany ain't too far back.

www.thelocal.de/20160615/one-in-every-ten-germans-wants-to-be-led-by-fuhrer

4 of 4 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

The one in ten of Germans who want a bloody Fuehrer are probably Ossis, Bavarians and motherhumping Swabians. Gotta watch those Swabs.

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Also related Why German mistrust made Hitler's Mein Kampf a bestseller again
By Thomas Weber University of Aberdeen www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36536317

Comment on this

4 of 4 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Awesome weather we have ... darkness and rain ... feels like it will never stop.

Comment on this

17 of 18 people agree with this  

  Mal Arky wrote:

Here's the problem. One you first come to Berlin and meet some people, you don't realize that most of them are from other places in Germany.

So you have a few conversations and you think, great, this place seems friendly enough, but what you don't realize is that it s not going to go any further, there will be no chance to flirt and feel out the situation, maybe just to have a platonic (should be called paltonic) friendship, because if you give them your phone or email address, you will never hear back. If you get their ph/email, and you contact them again, they will say they are busy with exams or working one of their two or three jobs to survive, but maybe on the 17th of next month at 13.27, they can have a tea with you for 43 minutes, because on the 23rd they are going away and will need a week to get organized for the trip, but they will be back in three months time, so maybe a month after that we could meet, on the 26th Sept at 15.05, but maybe just a quick meeting because I will have to prepare for my university semester.

This is a constant scenario. For awhile you think, that's OK, soon enough I'll crack the code.

So you decide that Berlin is not going to defeat you. OK, but here is the biggest fault we make. Because so many Germans speak English, beautifully, I might add, we get lulled into a false sense of security and think that we can get away with not learning German formally. We get log into DuoLingo.com and start trying to make sense of the cases and gender grammar, but after a few days, we think, this is just too mcuh nonsense, why the fack do we need to call something by it's gender. Also, we can't even remember the formal rules of our own language, even if we speak it very well, because we are used to the short-cut colloquialisms that we've grown up with, and there-in-lies-the-rub (try saying that phrase to a German) because they have the reverse problem, they can't understand a lot of our slang, and so they feel that it's hard work to keep up with us in conversations and they are also scared of looking uneducated, stupid or dumb, so they avoid speaking English as much as possible, no matter how good we think they speak it.

If a German came to live in London - something that will probably never happen - and they didn't speak any English, I don't think we would welcome them with open arms as well and it would be awkward and hard work trying to communicate with them, so we'd probably tend to avoid them, because we wouldn't be able to banter with them, because they just wouldn't get our inyourendos and intimations, asides, overtones and allusions etc.

The other problem is that we are not sure how long we are staying, so spending so much time on a new language that can't be used anywhere else in the world, except some Nazi hidey-hole in Argentina, we think, why bother, they speak English, who needs German. Big, big mistake, because they just win't invite you anywhere because they don't want to burden themselves and their friends with the task of speaking English all night, and even if you have learned German to some level, you still won't get all their inyourendos and intimations, asides, overtones and allusions etc. Of course they won't miss having fun with absurdity, because everything about their culture is absurd, so they don't see the funny side of it, they are like "zo vy ist das funnee, ist just der vay it ist, why are you laughing, it's zo childish to do zo".

I mean, why the F* have die der das, what possible good does it do to have to learn such redundancies. Umlauts, don't get me started on umlauts and the ch sound, that you think you have right and then someone laughs and says, "no that is the Bavarian way of saying it".

What is the retro 70's fashion of the people who live f=don't get off the U8 by OsloerStr, but keep going to parts that no one else has ever been to. I saw two middle aged twins with khaki shorts that were pulled up so high they were strangling their nuts and short sleeve shirts tucked into them with ties, and here's the thing, they were looking at my light blue Velo shoes as though I was some kind of weirdo alien. It was one of the most surreal moments of my time in Berlin, and believe me I've seen some weird stuff, and I'm not even talking about guys people with tattoos all over their necks and faces, or others who think it's in some way cool to have huge cirlce earrings in their earlobes, I saw one guy who added weights and his lobe was dangling about three inches lower than where the other 99.999999999% of the population have their's.

The nose rings make me feel ill. It's almost like a uniform to have these cheap gimmicks plastered all over their bodies, and then they wonder how they ended up with piss and sh.it stained pants and smelling like a sewer, no, make that worse than a sewer as they sleep off their cheap wine in u-bahn stations and all the little do-gooders run around feeding them or giving them money to buy more booze, it's like buying someone with lung cancer a packet of ciggies. Here's a tip, let them bottom out and then they will be forced to get back into the realiity of the world where their no such thing as a free lunch.They make me embarrassed to be a human being, how can anyone let themselves go that low. I've seen alcoholics in many countries, but some of these people are only in their twenties. The worst thing is when they traipse through the trains with a beaten up paper cup, standing over you for money. I just close my eyes now and say, "danke, aber nein". And seeing the thousands of people scavenging through the rubbish bins for bottles, picking up butts off the street, eating snadwiches they have pulled out of the trash bin, all while holding a bottle of cheapo beer. Skoll!!! No wonder there are so many losers, they are all addicted to the cheap beer and smokes.

OK, get me started on the jerk-off bicyclists who scream at people in full Nazi-German at any tourist who has accidentally wandered onto their hallowed turf. I often pull tourists over when they are on the bicycle path and with a smile, worn them about the German imbeciles that will yell at them. They usually thank me.

What's with the morons who smash beer bottles on the bike paths. And the psychopaths who steal bicycles. Do they have no conscience, not to mention the hoards of pickpockets, and the guys on the U8 who female genitalia your iPhone just as the door of the train is about to close and make a runner leaving you stranded in the train as you watch them make their getaway.

Even the slightest skirmish attracts a battalion of police cars and then a squad of ambulances and fire trucks. Although for the majority of people, I think the police here are pretty cool, but hello, why the hell do they allow hundreds of Africans to openly sell drugs on the street. These druggies are making a mockery of the police. How can someone come to another person's country and stand around all day harassing people to buy drugs from them. They really make the Berlin police look like Keystone Kops. They have driven families away from Gorlitzer Park and now they are taking over Revaler Str.

OK, now get me started on the BVG shop personnel. My god, have they never heard of the term customer service? I went in one day with my monthly tickets and placed them on the change tray and pointing to the ticket politely said "ich mochte ein monat fahrkarte, fon heute bitte". She looked at me and scowled something in Berliner Schnauzer, I looked back totally confused an asked, "kann du sprech bischen English", she yelled back "Was, was", I said "why don't you look at the ticket", with that the other seller said, "hey, watch your language", I said "what language", she said "I don't like your tone, it sounds unfriendly", with that I just broke out in uncontrollable laughter, try ti splutter out the words "a BVG employee calling someone else unfriendly, that's comedy gold". I just couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of it all. These BVG people, are sociopaths of the first order.

Your i a hurry to get a bahn ticket from the machine, you click all the right buttons and then, you just wait and wait and wait as your train doors close and finally you see the ticket drop. I'm sorry, but I've been served quicker in a Berlin post office, OK, that's a lie and you know it is, because there is no way you are going to get any change from 15 minutes on the queue, or the snake, as Berliners like to call it, which is quite charming, but not as cute as hand shuhe for gloves, or a traveling wheel for a bicycle, the translated meaning for fahrrad.

When I first came to Berlin, and English friend of mine said "Berlin girls are cute, until you live with them". I thought he was exaggerating, but two relationships later, I wish I had listened more closely to his blatant warning. Talk about control freaks. All they ever want to do is argue with you. They will never praise anything you do and very rarely even say thank you. No matter what you do with a German girlfriend, it will be wrong, if you go left, it's wrong, so you double back and go right and that will be wrong as well. You can't please them.

Phone-line customer service, :o)))) OK, where do we start. No, too traumatic to bring all those frustrating expensive calls up from the past.

"The Rules", that are never to be broken, under any circumstances. Especially the rul about waiting like a total, idiot for the green man with the funny hat before you cross the road, even though there are cars for one km either side at 01.00am. OK, if there are children there, fine, I see their point, but even of there are no children, the dirty looks you get from Berliners could kill when you cross against the red OstBerlin icon.

Who are the imbeciles who do all the tagging around Berlin? Are they totally retarded?

Berlin is one huge urinal, just piss anywhere you want, in front of whoever you want.

Who built the floors in apartments that reverberate every step of the numbskulls upstairs, I say numbskulls, because like me, they must be numbskulls to still be in Berlin.

What's with the TV licence even when you don't have a TV, radio or internet connection in your apartment. "oh" they say "but you can access public radio from your phone", but even if you didn't have a phone, they will still charge you the whopping €17.50 per month, that's €7 billion per year, €7 billion, not million, billion.

The nasty unfriendly people who are supposed to "serve" you in Saturn or T-Mobile make me feel ill, just thinking about them. I remember going into a supermarket in Japan and there was a beautiful/demure you woman greeting me wit a bow from the waist and a greeting "Konnichiwa". It really felt good to see her smile, whether she meant it of not. Here it's my like a scowl and a grunt for making them have to work, if you are lucky, usually you will be given a cold shoulder or a look as though you should order "NOW". "Stop thinking and order, you stupid English speaker".

My god, can you imagine where Berlin would be without all that English-speaking currency from all over the world. They would be in the same boat as Romania.

I came here as one of the most positive, happy, friendly and optimistic people in the world, and after a weeks's holiday in the south of France, I realize that when I leave Berlin very soon, I will again become that person, instead of the cynical beast I've become, just to survive this despicable place.

Berlin is a great big bore. Especially that guy on the door at Berghain what a pretentious *****. I can't understand any person who is not psychologically damaged, wanting to go back again, it is the most over-rated club ever. The best club in Berlin is Ritter Buske, there's a tip newcomers. But remember, if you get groped by some beautiful girl, it's only because she is on ecstasy etc, you will never hear from her again after that night.

OK, RULE NUMBER ONE. NEVER and I mean NEVER, lend anyone money in Berlin, unless you are willing to never see it again. They will never get enough to pay you back and will probably have to scarper back home before they ever find a job that will pay more than enough to just scrape by each month.

And never, ever think you will find people to cooperate with you, because Germans only know competition, survival of the fittest. Don't fall through the cracks here. Better to go to a smaller city that is not so anonymous. I actually know many people in Berlin, but I couldn't say one was a friend and I make friends very easily wherever I travel. Another strange thing is that with all my acquaintances, I very rarely bump into them on the street, it's just too big a city.

Oh, did I mention the huge cost for health insurance. You are in for a big shock. Better visit Hans Merkur before being ripped off by a broker. Also, shop around for a tax agent, because they will try to charge you all sorts of exorbitant prices for a business plan to take to the Auslander Behorder, where you will have to wait for three months for an appointment with a surly DDR frau, in a building that looks like it was probably an old Stasi interrogation headquarters.

But, in saying all of this, I actually feel sorry for Berliners, because what has made them this way is a history of never ending conflict and upheaval and they have of course passed all their fears onto their kids.

Don't ever expect to be invited to a Berliner's house or apartment. You see in the Stasi times, they were too scared to invite neighbours over, in case they saw a book or record that was from the West and they might report them to the Stasi police. This of course has filtered down to the kids "never trust anyone Klaus, do you hear, no one".

Also, never ask a Berliner for help with a question, they will not make any effort to go out of their way to help you. They have the social graces of wild boar.

Here;s my advice for you, come here for a holiday to see the freak show, have a good laugh and enjoy being disgusted and then leave, just leave and don't come back unless it's for another holiday.

I haven't even mentioned the BER airport fiasco, what a joke.

The stink of doner joints by the thousand, boring bakeries on every corner and spatis, all selling the lowest common denominator food, alcohol and tobacco, the main staples for Berliners, who are going to be left behind as Berlin comes into the new reality of globalism. The arty party is over. When I leave, I will still come back for holidays, because one good thing about Berlin in small doses, is that you realize just how sane you are.

If you are stuck here, don't get to thinking you are going to crack the code, you see their is no code, it's just a lame place full of lame losers.

OK, that's the positive side to Berlin, now would you lie to hear the negative stuff :o) Don't get me started.

By the way, I didn't even mention registering with the police and the burger amt. For Christ's sake don't say you are a Catholic or you will be taxed 10% of your earnings, I kid you not. Ok, that's enough, I think you get the gist.


6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Berlin 201 - Advanced studies in nonsense. I liked how you dissected the most relevant aspects in such a comprehensive way. I left the city a few months ago and I still feel scared by the city but what you've mentioned is true, after you leave the city, you realize how sane you are, even if you are a darker version of your former self. I guess with time you can get back to a better state. And that comes from a guy who lived in Berlin for many years and had studied German for years before coming to the country, in a way "the kind of foreigners Germans like (but not really)".

7 of 8 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Sweet Jesus.This post is so accurate my P.T.S.D. kicked in and I have to take a sedative.

11 of 11 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Damn, you deserve an award for this post. Perfectly accurate.
I particularly enjoyed the part in which you write about the fuck.ing TV licence fee. Since I don't own a TV nor radio I have always refused to pay for what I believe is a big as.s scam (it's been almost 3 years now but I should be leaving the country in 3 months or so), I have debt collector agents and bailiffs running after my as.s, I could even go to the jail for this nonsense!
No wonder the german economy is doing "well", they rip their citizens off in every possible way.

4 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Nicely written, I will save this post for future reference.

4 of 4 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I rarely read comments this long on the internet. I wasn't disappointed.

Comment on this

10 of 11 people agree with this  

  Annoyedinberlin wrote:

I am so friggin frustrated with this city and the people in it. What is wrong with them!! All of them? Why are they so friggin rude... Go to a cafe in neukoln they give me filthy looks , girl has serious attitude problem And they turn off the wifi so I can't use it anymore???? Go in to a supermarket ask the person working there something about the bread isle (in German) and she keeps her back turned to me and just shouts ' I'm a cashier' and walks away.. Doesn't even acknowledge me as a human being... How do they get away with it?? I wear something nice out like a dress or heels people stare at me like a a freak but it's fine to walk round looking like a tramp covered in crap ... Seriously? Is everyone lost here?? And if I don't want to go to Berghain on a Sunday and get off my head to techno what the fornicate is there to do?? Every store is closed. No one else wants to do any real other nice actives. Soho house is about the most exciting thing I can find here now?? Also what is it with jobs? I'm freelance so lucky I have something but most people can't be bothered to work. How are these people cool and creative etc they are just friggin lazy!!! And people that think they are the best at what they do here like art , make up , photography... Are no where near the best ... Try going to London or LA where you find people that are driven and ambitious and good at what they do, don't just provide a half butt service... I can't even find a decent handy man that will fix things in my apartment. People pretending they are something they are not or have no real idea about.

5 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Not a very nice place is it. And no amount of time or effort makes it any better. Its a dump.

Comment on this

9 of 10 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Today I'm leaving Berlin forever. I probably will never come back to this website either. Ohh "but the summer is so good, why do you leave now". Simple, because there is another sentiment more powerful here. The "why don't you go back to (insert xenophobic comment here)" comments finally have worked for Germans I guess. I won't share all my experiences here but all I'm gonna say is that I will never, ever come back to Berlin, actually all Germany, Austria, most of France (specially Paris). People told me that because these are big cities and they're not the representation of the world has of them and you just have to adapt to them. That's bullshit, I come from a bigger and more diverse city, and these cities are their people have simple lost their freaking minds. Nationalism and Xenophobia are on the rise and being accepted as the status quo. Any remains of progressiveness that these places have will banish soon, and all problems being blamed on the others, France blames Germany, Germany used to blame Spain and Italy but now they blame all Muslims on Earth, Austrians uber alles, and so on and so forth. It will take decades to sort out this mess, and I frankly don't have the time or energy to educate Germans about that other non-Germans have good qualities even less to spend all my live to be a living proof of that, I say NO, I won't be part of their learning process. I will just move on with my live and mind my own business far faaaar away from these people. There might be good things and people but in all honesty I cannot remember any given that most of things I've had to gone through here have been major fornicate ups. I simply cannot remember anything positive here. So long Germany and a big fornicate you for you.

7 of 22 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Hey holier-than-thou lefty,

The citizens of France, Germany and Austria have every right to fear, worry and blame the surge of muslim economic migrants (mostly military age men) who pretend to be refugees. You should leave central europe because you judge your host country for reacting in a natural way to the violence and sexual abuses of muslim migrants.
How would you feel if your home was invaded by millions of millions of people with completely opposite religion and culture demanding welfare instead of fighting for their country's freedom and rebuilding it to a more prosperous one.

7 of 20 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I as a german jew feel unsafe in places like wedding that already feel like the middle east. I prefer living next to nationalistic germans than arabs who hate my guts and cheer to kill my kind on the streets.

2 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

The Berliners never seemed particularly friendly, now they have something real to be unfriendly about

1 of 7 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

www.youtube.com/watch.
That's why some far right groups go nuts over muslims. Seriously, stop the hate from all sides. Stop double standards. Stop disrespecting your host country. Berlin has all this unnecessary political hate and tension in the air.

7 of 7 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Can't you see that this sh.it is staged?

5 of 7 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I wrote the original post, I've never been accused of being a "lefty" before. I actually lean toward the right, I favour free markets, free trade and other related things but whatever, that is not really relevant to the post. My only point is nationalism is never, ever good. Good luck Germany sorting your stuff out for the next 3 - 4 decades. I know that many capitalist and productive foreigners are already leaving the country. The "leaving Berlin" phenomenon is real and it does not only applies to a few people.

11 of 15 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

To the original poster: don't mind the xenophobic dude who called you a lefty.
His comment reflects fairly well what motivates me to leave Berlin; fear of the others, xenophobia in other terms. They need someone to blame for their misery and inability to blend with people who don't share the same culture.
They blame everything on Muslim people although they are the ones who did the most inhuman, despicable damage to humanity (amnesty international recently condemned Germany for its lack of action against racist crimes, not to mention the 2 world wars they started in the past) yet they still dont seem to understand that others aren't the problem, it's pointless.
Congrats for leaving this insane city, all the best for your future!

3 of 3 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

To the comment above, Thanks for all the good wishes. I really enjoyed this website during my long stay. So many truths here, people so real and many of these things aren't part of the mainstream culture of the city right now.

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

You lefties without arguments always follow the same stream of thought. I'm migrant myself. I hate nationalism. I am not a dude. I experience more racism and gender related discrimination from other male migrants. Berlin sucks but do not hate on all the Germans or on all Berliners and always use the term xenophobic as your last resort argument.

Comment on this

10 of 11 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Would be tourists to Berlin: whether you use Airbnb or not, know that Berlin has banned it (renting apartments/flats), because the city of Berlin blames tourists for skyrocketing rents. This reflects the general attitude Berlin has regarding tourists: they are not welcome. Spend your money in a city that is not filled with xenophobic a**holes who really don’t want you in their city. Go somewhere more pleasant, where the locals either don’t mind tourists or they are nice to you because they are smart enough to know that treating tourists well = making money. Berliners don’t get this because Berlin has always been funded by Germany… they’ve never had to be fiscally responsible. They’ve never had to build industries, have a stable economy or provide jobs.
If cities were people, Berlin is a spoiled 15 year old who gets everything paid for by their parents (Germany), never has to be accountable for itself, never has to face reality because it is pampered by it’s parents. Berlin would be a total 3rd world sh*thole if it were not located inside Germany, one of the wealthiest, strongest and most prosperous nations in Europe. Keep in mind that holiday rentals make up a tiny % of apartments/flats available in Berlin, and are not responsible for the rising rents. But typical berlin corruption/avoiding the real problem and deflecting the blame on something or someone else/typical xenophobic berliner mentality is entirely PREDICTABLE. Reality is that tourism is Berlin’s only real industry and prices have been going up before Airbnb. Reality is also that gentrification and globalism is affecting all cities in the world, not just special snowflake Berlin. Berlin has a strong case of “I’m a special snowflake” and the people living in it also have a strong case as well, and for no reason. Berlin is the epitome of mediocrity. People just buy into the Berlin hype and are fascinated by it’s war history and nightlife that has been so hyped up at this point, that they actually spend their money in this sh*t city and don’t notice or don’t care that the locals hate them.

5 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

spoiled 15 y/o? More like a spoiled balding 35 y/o special snowflake who's entered every university in the planet and never has gotten a degree. The rest is incredibly accurate of course. I wish more people coming to the city or even already living in the city for years read this. I know this is asking to much to people but sooner or later they realize the things that were pointed out by OP.

2 of 2 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

This comes only from my experience only but I recently had the chance to open the European office for a startup I'm part of, and Berlin was one option. I studied in Berlin and I know exactly what Berliners are capable of (more like incapable of). Despite what other people said, founders, salespeople, accountants saying that the rent is cheap, tons of "qualified personnel", etc. I knew that Berlin was gonna be an endless waste of cash because that's what people in Berlin is used to, exactly what the first comment said. I knew that literally anywhere in Europe would be a better option and that's what I did. Needless to say, other teams from the incubator that chose Berlin over other cities and countries had to close their office, close their business altogether or are still asking for more money to VCs and in neither case they've been able to create even a functioning office, much less a product. That's why people funding projects and enterprises despise the city because they never get anything off the city, only debt.

0 of 0 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Airbnb is horrible and greedy just like uber. These tourists should stay in hotels. Stop blaming residents for not wanting to live ìn their apartment complex filled with come and go tourists. You people are as entitled as other Berliners. Get a reality check.

1 of 2 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

I second that- except the problem isn't so much airbnb being greedy, it's the people buying up huge amounts of prime housing that was zoned and intended for living in, simply to rent out to airbnb- it has a real effect on the people living next door, and is totally unnecessary, short term renters can short term rent as they always have, tourists can stay in hotels as they always have, and real airbnb (renting your own place while you're away) isn't effected anyway as far as I understand

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Yeah... there are two sides to the airbnb story. I've been researching it and feel inclined to weigh in. One side is that Air started off by being a cheaper alternative to short term holiday housing in places like New York and London, but once that model was imported to a market like Berlin - with well regulated rent controls and low prices - then suddenly, airbnb was a more expensive option, not a cheaper one. As anyone who's used it here knows, airbnb landlords in Berlin intentionally charge what London and Paris natives would think is a good price, and that amounts to roughly 3 times what WE think is a good price! But then again, the new law preventing short term lettings to tourists does nothing to prevent airbnb from renting out flats long term for higher rents. It only stops them letting out flats for under 2 months. THAT is an example of tourist-baiting and scapegoating visitors. In reality, the tourists are the ones being ripped off by Berlin landlords whenever they use these sites. They are in a sense, more of a victim than the landlords who've become rich off them. So the intention was good but as usual, the government spun it in a xenophobic way to appease all their constituents, even the dumb-ass ones who automatically blame foreigners for all ills, whether real, imagined, homegrown or imported. Those dumb butts exist everywhere of course (Brexit, anyone?) but Germany cannot take the high road when it caters to them as willingly as the Tory party does.

Comment on this

10 of 11 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Speaking of rancid stench..Why hasent anyone exploited Berlins biggest natural resource..Dog shit. I propose a "start up" dog poop collection for community Guerrilla gardening and cutting edge Vegan restaurant .Any left over poo can be collected and dumped on Berghain. Maybe then some nice flowers would grow rather than the field of cunts that exists at the moment.

Comment on this

7 of 7 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

Hmm, summer in berlin just wouldn't be the same without the fragrant aromas of sun-dried tramp accompanying your commute.
What's your favourite flavour? Gangrenous leg? Freshly pissed myself? Unwashed arse?
Personally I'm a big fan of the evaporating stale beer variety

6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

My personal favourite is "unshowered for three weeks", by Berlin. I favour classic fragrances.

5 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Three weeks, really? I find it's a bit too delicate for my taste, Its rather difficult to discern over the general background odours. I tend to favour the older vintages, anything from a 6 to maybe a 10 seeker, though I do feel anything above ten to be rather too intense for my liking

6 of 6 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

These comments made my day

3 of 3 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

"Not sure if homeless" is great too. It' s a great mixture of body odour and stench of beer with sparkles of poop. Really common nowadays.

3 of 3 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Homeless is so 2005

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

A classic " eau de fresh shirt no shower in a week"

1 of 1 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Lack of hygiene extends well beyond the homeless. Most pungent is "stuffed commuter packed train on a spring afternoon with many non deoderized sweating armpits exposed from holding the standing room bars" eeek... a memory I shall cherish always

Comment on this

7 of 7 people agree with this  

  Anonymous wrote:

In Berlin no one says "they took our jobs" because there are no jobs to begin with.

5 of 5 people agree with this  
  Anonymous wrote:

Plenty of jobs for social workers or drug dealers or ticket collectors or GEMA spys or bottle collectors. The streets are paved with gold.What a vibrant city of opportunity.

Comment on this
Page 161 of 207